Wednesday, February 11, 2009

French Revolution Birthdays Honor Nature

Bonjour, mes amis! The calendar of the republic during the French Revolution may be the single worst use of the usually superior decimal system. Who wants a 10-day work week? But I find charming the name-days which replaced saints with things of the earth--the idea was to completely secularize even the calendar. Thus, I was born in Fructidor, the month of fruit--but my birthday falls on the day of Watermelon. Not my very favorite fruit--why not framboise?--, but then Orion would have been born in Pluviose, on Broccoli day! (He does like broccoli at least.) Here's the list, chez wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_revolution_calendar


Here's the little guy, because I haven't taken a picture of him eating broccoli, eating something crunchy and delicious, namely "kra-ka."

1 comment:

Becca said...

I am flint! Flint--not the warmest, most friendly item, but I guess that's what I get for being born in the dead of winter.

At least Peter is a cheery, personable eggplant!

I loved this site and I can't wait to share with Shane! Thanks!